Time & Attitude
So it’s common to hear martial arts coaches to claim its more than punching and kicking and it is, of course true. Though the usual examples of weight loss, fitness, confidence and so on are really default benefits that happen regardless in most cases.
When we coach at Function First we have a philosophy of “Off The Mats As On The Mats”
- Multidisciplinary Synthesis: Their thinking process involves linking different ideas from different disciplines. It’s valuable because most of today’s problems are solved by applying not only one branch of knowledge.
A tip: read more to build a lattice work of mental models.
Now this is is a huge area so in this blog we will briefly cover our time and attitude coaching method
So the average Function First Adult member trains 4 hours a week so let’s look at 1 class or 1 hour of training and break it down
- Train passive pad feeding and your already down to 30 minutes training in that hour
- Now add drink breaks, take off 5 minutes, now down to 25 minutes in that class
- Now add changing pads and gloves over, another 5 minutes. Now down to 20 minutes
- Now when coach says lets go, you smile and say a few words to your partner and another 5 mins of training gone chatting. Now down to 15 minutes
- Toilet breaks, coaching talk time, arriving late and on we go
Add it all up and its scary, with a sloppy mindset in one hours training you could actually be doing 10 to 15 minutes actual hard work
With a fighters mindset you make every second count, that of an engineer building a bridge over a 1 mile river. You know, 1mm out at the start and by the time you reach the end you fall into the river.
Time management and attitude can mean more than you think.
Be that person who turns up early, starts hitting the pads immediately, pad feeds like you are fighting, and keep the mind in the arena.
This way you can treble what others in the same class are doing.
Thats the secret to getting ahead, you both travel to get there, you both spend the same time on the mats but one of you does 3 times the work.
Remember practice does not make perfect but perfect practice does
- Now think this… They do 1 year’s training and with applied mind in the same time you do 3 years
- Now think this… They do 10 years and in the same time you do 30 years
- This is where mastery is hidden
This is how we teach our kids and adults to get ahead in the world, not just on the mats
Now Apply Off The Mats As On The Mats
Anything you care about or value, apply this mindset to it, kids, relationships, listening, finance, sport, nutrition, health and so on
You decide, leave this earth having given something your best shot.